Saturday, April 24, 2010

Holy Shit, You Have a Nice Ass!!!!.......Ummm, Sorry Miss....

So, I promise this isn't just me cribbing from Kotaku's post about Lost Planet's female character models. I watched the Youtube clip they made available (which I will, as well, after the jump), and I couldn't help but think about Heavy Rain. Hah, not where you thought this was going, was it? Sucka!

First of all, I most certainly don't expect a game like Lost Planet 2 to depict females (or anyone, for that matter) in a realistic manner. I'm not a moron. However, it made me think about my time with Madison Paige while I was playing Heavy Rain. The first time I took control of her character, I felt uneasy and vulnerable. That feeling didn't last the entire game, but it started a train of thought that, oddly enough, has ended up here. I want a game with a female lead that portrays them as an actual person, dealing with very real, very personal problems. I guess I want to play as a female in this situation because in real life I'll never get to know, in any real way, what it's like to be in the shoes of the opposite sex. After all, one aspect of playing video games is role-playing and escape from reality, is it not? What better way to do so than strapping on a dress and experiencing things from a girl's perspective? Mind you, the ideas I have for this kind of character-driven game could actually be done with either a male or female lead, but it's the role-playing aspect that's getting a lot of value here.

When I said personal problems, I didn't mean when it's that time of the month. I meant playing a very adult drama, where, perhaps, the main character is a rape victim who has to come to terms with what happened to her. The game could be about that character having to learn all over again how to interact with other people without freaking the fuck out and shutting down emotionally. It could be a mix of genres, with some horror aspects due to the traumatizing nature of the crime perpetrated against her. Drama could come from her meeting a guy, and getting to play through the steps necessary to form an interpersonal relationship with someone. I don't want a dating sim, where the goal is to get whoever to kiss you or like your outfit or whatever. I'm talking about adult relationships here. Something that would resonate with me, having been through a serious relationship before that ended up not working out. It's interesting stuff to think about, especially when I look back at the history of games. There's really not much out there when it comes to concepts like this. Be it technological constraints, creative ineptness, or just a lack of interest, these kinds of subjects haven't been treated correctly, and, in my opinion, need to be properly handled in this medium for games to be looked at as a true art form. But that's just how I see it. Or, we could just have some more space pirates showing tits and ass. Hurray for tits and ass!!




No comments:

Post a Comment