Saturday, May 23, 2009

T R I C O . !!!!!!!!!!!!!


First, you must watch:





Yes, you are correct. That was fucking amazing. Lets talk about why that is.

If you've played Shadow of the Colossus, you should pay close attention to how the boy moves while on top of the creature. I could be wrong, but to me it looks like the game is taking the core mechanic from SOTC - grappling onto the fur of giant creatures - and applying it to totally opposite situations. The creature and the boy are obviously close, and the creature takes the boy wherever he needs to go. Flying high in the sky, swimming to the oceans depths, and everything in between seem, at first glance, to be within the players reach. I just can't get over the simple genius of using that mechanic for exploration instead of only combat. Bravo, Sony. Now, all you have to do is give this development studio a better name than the current generic, third-tier-sounding name it unfortunately has. I don't even remember what the fuck it is. And no, Team ICO isn't their actual name.

But more to the point, this game is far and away one of the best reasons to own a ps3. TRICO looks to be some kind of mix between ICO and SOTC, with the possible addition of being hunted by an unnumbered amount of people (notice the beginning of the footage....the boy and the creature seem to be escaping from some kind of prison or fortress). And with the creature's ability to fly, I'm expecting the scope to eclipse SOTC by quite a bit. Son of a bitch, I want this game right now. I think Sony might be showing off the game proper at E3, but I'm not sure about that. Obviously, I hope they do, especially since this footage is pretty old. Who knows how much more awesome can be contained on a single disc? Only god and santa claus know the answer to that, but Sony is getting pretty damn close to finding out for themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment